Friday, September 5, 2008

I Feel Like $#!+

I haven’t updated the blog this week because I have been battling a severe head cold. Even if I hadn’t have been sick there wasn’t much to blog about. The weather hasn’t been all that cooperative to get out and do things anyway. It rained the first three days of the week. Yesterday was sunny and warm enough to hang laundry out to dry on the clothes line and today is also sunny and warm. However, the power has been out all day. Luckily I charged the laptop last night so I at least have some music to listen to and Word to type down my babble.

Since I have been sick and the weather has been bad the only things I have really been doing are reading some archaeology texts, napping, doing dishes, and laundry. Reading and napping comprised 90% of those activities.

Sabastian, our landlords' dog, is a mix between a lab and a border collie. He's a big, friendly dog who loves attention

Giuseppe is our lanlords' cat, he loves his head scratched

Girl started work up at UCT this week. I walked her to the campus on Monday. She found out that one of the girls who works in the lab with her, Constance, lives across the street from us. Constance is even from the States, Maryland. The two of them have been walking/commuting to the school together before and after work. The commute from our place to the UCT campus is just a little over a mile, with the last half-mile uphill. I’m glad she found someone that she can walk/commute with. I didn’t mind getting up every morning to walk with her and then walk back to accompany her home, but it is nice not having to make the trek up to UCT and back twice a day. It is also a piece of mind to know that she has someone she knows close by after I leave and she has to remain in SA by herself for an extra three weeks.

We are going out for pizza tonight with Constance and her husband, Paul. I still have a slight cough that rears up once in a while, but other than that I am feeling much better than I have in the past few days. Hopefully the pizza is good. We haven’t had much luck with the eateries around Rondebosch. Other than Wimpys – a sit down place kinda between Village Inn and Applebee’s – that is. The last, and so far only, time we were there I ordered a Pari Pari chicken plate and Girl ordered a seafood platter. The order came with half of a chicken (leg, thigh, wing, and breast) and the chicken was really good. Pari Pari is a “hot” sauce here. It tastes good, but isn’t all that “hot”. It also came with a side of fries. It cost about $6 USD. The seafood platter came with fries, calamari, and a cod fillet. The fish and calamari were also very good. Again, the dish cost about $6 USD. The calamari was so good in fact, that Girl stopped by the next day and got an order of calamari to go.

That’s all for this days entry. A bit mundane and ordinary, but it was the best I could do under this week’s circumstances. Hopefully after I have fully recovered and if the weather stays good I will be able to post a more interesting read in the weeks to come =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

No bún riêu or phở?

Trang

A Guy, a Girl and a Laptop said...

not at all!!! they do have a "chinese" market that consists of TWO shelves of dried goods.