Saturday, August 30, 2008

Iziko South African Museum

The Iziko South African Museum was established in 1825 by Lord Charles Somerset and later reconstituted under a Board of Trustees in 1855. The museum is the country's second oldest scientific institute, established five years after the Royal Observatory (est. 1820).

The Iziko South African Museum has a vast collection of natural history and anthropological objects documenting all forms of life, living and extinct, from southern Africa, and a material cultural heritage of indigenous peoples dating back to their earliest origins. The museum also has a planetarium. The Museum is visited annually by about 400,000 people, and is one of Cape Town's major tourist attractions.


Visit the official Iziko South African Museum website for more info.



Rock Art:







Shark World:


Mammals:

Didn't I see you gals on America's Next Top Model?

Girl networking- take me to your leader


What a guard dog...


The Monkey King


Fossils:




Girl made a newfriend at the museum




4 comments:

duckey0712 said...

Girl...thank you for the help with the link. I'll have the wife help me with it...now I have to find that perfect pic, or at least one where I don't have a stupid look on my face or my eyes closed. Could be tough.

I think I know that monkey king in the pics. I saw all the fossils and knew 'guy' was probably in heaven. I could just imagine him in there giving commentary to all the other people standing around him. Kind of like the kid in the first Jurrasic park, only older :) I bet girl had to drag him out of there kicking and screaming. Forgot to comment on your last post...loved "squirrels". Haven't heard that one for ages. Had to listen to it a couple of times. Then I had to jump on the internet and listen to some "star trekken", "polka dot undies" and "boot to the head". Oh, what I wouldn't give for a huge dose of Denento.

So you're on the hunt for the elusive pink-assed baboon (a.k.a. the P.A.B.) This made me think of the dogs who run out in the road and chase the cars past their houses. And I've always wondered, if a dog were to actually catch a car what would it do with it? Same question with the P.A.B. If you find one, what will you do with it? Haven't heard how they are as house pets. Guard monkey maybe? I hear they work for bananas.

Sarah said...

Hi guys! Just stopped by to check on ya...looks like you are having a great time! The monkey king is gonna give me nightmares...BTW, there is a pretty good picture of Pats family on my blog... :)

Anonymous said...

hate to say it but the monkey king looks a lot like brian ?!?!?!

A Guy, a Girl and a Laptop said...

HAHAHA....Alex, you win the banana! hint: you are also somewhere on this blog...=)