Click on the photo for more info on Cavendish Square McDonalds menu in Cape Town
Our McSampler: 1 Big Mac, 1 Quarter Pounder w/Cheese, 1 fry, and 1 Coke.
First the Big Mac, while the packaging of the burger was dead on (two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions, on a sesame seed bun), the flavor missed the target. The biggest problem was the not-so special sauce. It seemed to be a really vinegary Thousand Island dressing. There was also the lack of that certain flavor and smell one instantly associates with a Big Mac. For this taste tester’s taste buds, the US Big Mac beats the SA Big Mac hands down.
Official American taste tester representative preparing to sample the Big Mac
The Quarter Pounder w/Cheese also missed the mark when it came to the flavor aspect. Much like the Big Mac, the burger was missing that special something that lets you know you are eating a McDonalds hamburger. Could it be that they do not use “all beef patties” in SA?
Official taste tester assistant preparing to sample the Quarter Pounder w/Cheese and fries
The fries, such a disappointment. The trademark McDonald fry just didn’t have what it takes. It had the right texture and crispiness, but was lacking in the flavor department as well. It seemed as though they had either fried the fries in peanut oil or had not changed out the frying oil for some time. Either way, the taste was just not up to par.
Finally, the Coke. Again, the flavor was way off and there was little to no carbonation. It is possible that they needed to replace the CO2, but even more carbonation would not have helped with the flavor. It tasted like they used aspartame or some other artificial sweetener. I wondered if they had given us a diet Coke by mistake. Also, no ice. I wonder if ice is just a US thing. Any insights from worldly readers would be helpful (The Netherlands for instance).
So, in summary, if you are traveling to Cape Town, South Africa and are having a Big Mac Attack save your Rand and eat elsewhere. Besides, why are you eating at a McDonalds in a foreign country anyways? Find a more local flavor to sample and get out of your comfort zone. We definitely were not “Lovin’ it.”
8 comments:
Okay, a big mac not tasting like a big mac just freaks me out. That's as crazy as dogs and cats living together...mass hysteria! You are absolutely right though about eating McDonalds when in another country...when in rome. The only reason one would do such a thing would be to prove a scientific hypothesis. I guess you've put that one to rest for us. I've now made a mental note that if I ever get out of the U.S. again and get to travel...avoid the imitation fast food establishments.
And I'm thinking the ice thing is American. I know the Europeans don't serve drinks with ice. And I'm only basing this on the Dutch, Belgian and German cultures..I cant speak for the Italians, Swiss, French, or Spanish. There were two things that bugged me about the drinks in Europe. The first was the "no ice" issue. The second was the price. We paid the same price for an American 32 oz drink as we did to get a skinny 6-8 oz glass of cola. When I had Dutch friends come and visit us, they couldn't believe the size of our drinks and how cheap they were.
So McDonalds, not so good. SA brownies...not so good. So what are some of the things that the locals eat? Anything you've tried that you love? In Holland, it was pickled herring they were known for, and I was never able to acquire a taste for it. My gag reflex is going off just thinking about it.
Looks like you two are following POISON'S mantra of "Nothing But A Good Time". Keep having a good time.
Girl...keep your guy in line. It is nice to put a face with a name. Look forward to meeting you when you two get back. Check back with you soon.
Cuzin PDitty
you know it's because everything in America is "super sized."
Also, we were told not to have ice in our drinks when abroad. Something about the unsafe drinking water.
PDitty-why don't you upload a photo of yourself on here for me. I am always a big fan of PD
-girl
Girl...you must be assuming that I have mad computer skills like your guy. That assumption would be very very wrong. Although my cuter better half is somewhat computer literate. I will have her HELP me upload a couple of picks of me and the family. May need you to give us brief instructions on how we go about doing the upload of pics.
BTW...do you bring the smart ass and wit out in "guy"? When he was younger he was always shy and quiet. Doesn't seem to have quite the "shell" that I remember. Don't get me wrong...he's let go a little at a Poison concert once or twice and even had fun at an Aerosmith concert Mom K sent us to, but for the most part he's always been pretty reserved. Maybe it's age...but I'm gonna go out on a limb and give you major credit! Can just tell you bring out the best in him. Sorry guy...you don't like what I'm sayin...walk away and quit reading, but you know it's true.
We will work on the upload...best of luck on the internship!
upload your photo here: picasaweb.google.com
then link it
This is for my computer challenged brother. http://picasaweb.google.com/heberdukes/Heberdukes/photo?authkey=EKQVOBIA4Hk#5237727228951318498
so is there a dollar menu, or a rand menu? i'd choose the calamari over a big mac any day
I am squided out here. There's even squid at MCD
Post a Comment