Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The odd things they eat here

Since Guy is recovering from jet lag in Wyoming, I will be updating this blog until his sleeping habit gets reoriented. His last weekend was eventful! We spent 10 hours on Saturday at my prof's place. The first several hours were served for drinking and grilling.

My lab mate from Brazil who is also interning in the same lab decided to mix us some of her native cocktails. Whether it was the influences of alcohol or my bad memory, I can't seem to recall the name of the drinks. But in one pitcher, she added lemon, ice, sugar, and lots of alcohol that she packed with her from Brazil. In another pitcher, the same recipe was made with pineapple subsituting for lemon. The drinks were strong.

Renata and Prof's wife preparing the drinks.

The men waiting around for their drinks while the ladies slave in the kitchen.

The food menu included creepy crawly snakes. Yes, the slithering creatures that I can't bare to look at on hiking trips, but I don't mind them skinned and dead on my plate. You'll have to ask Guy for the names of them all. My prof. purchased the snake sausages at a local butcher shop where it is known for their famous ostrich, crocodile, and a couple other nontraditional meats.

Smells likes chicken on the grill.

I wouldn't say that there was not an inital struggle in getting me to take a bite of my snake hot dog. It required a little nose pinching, eye closing, and slow chewing. Hey, it isn't bad. I tried a little more, chewed a little faster...tastes like chicken. Especially on a bun with a little ketchup. It's not chewy as you would expect from all that muscles, instead, it was very tender and juicy.

The evening was reserved for Brandy tasting. Guy will have to write about this event because I am no Brandy expert to give it the proper attention and detail that it deserves. On another note, I heard they eat fried caterpillars here. Suppose to taste crunchy.















ttl

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That doesn't look ANYTHING like what guy had for dinner back in Wyoming!